Starting Your Art Collection

Art collections can be started simply from the need to fill blank walls.The art work, by its very presence, lends a sense of place to a space and that this sense should be one of beauty and balance to the casual viewer. I like a variety of items so I have no preconceived notion of what art is.A first time buyer has to develop an eye for art..I did a lot of research before deciding to do this and discovered I was very passionate about it.Whenever I visit someone's home, the first thing I notice is whether or not they have original artwork displayed. Sadly, in most cases, they do not. It's a shame...
I started out just decorating my home with original art then I branched out to my relatives and friends homes. It got to the point my family and friends were always anxious to see just what new treasures I had discovered.It was like a treasure hunt when they came to my house.My take on this is I just buy what I like. If it just sits on the wall and no one notices it then it's wallpaper, not art. If the artist does not feel a passion for his works, that fact will usually be reflected in the art.If it moves me spiritually then I will want to look at it frequently. There is always continuous feedback between the collection and its owner. ...

Most people I encountered buy art,sculptures and other collectables with the hope that it will be valuable someday.Collectors also like to make their own rules.The number of items, quality, time period or medium for example, are all personally determined by the individual. I have spent thousands of hours looking, judging, determining – and collecting art.Here’s a little secret: there’s no such thing as The Perfect Picture.Buy what you like and and don’t worry about the value.You will find that you will enjoy the piece for years to come and in some instances it will turn out to be valuable...


Small paintings, small watercolors, small mixed media paintings are so easy to pop into a ready-made frame for a special gift for someone. Giving them as gifts gives you the opportunity to share something unique with someone else.I have bought artwork against the opinions of everyone.Since collecting depends on the interests of the individual collector, it may deal with almost any subject. The depth and scope of the collection may also vary. A collector seeks meaning and self-expression through the treasure, and, therefore, is very picky about what he or she collects and displays in their home. Buying an original piece of art does not have to be a hard or scary process. Anyone can buy and collect art intelligently.All you need is a love and appreciation of fine art, a desire to collect, and a willingness to learn.

Make sure the art you're looking at is in good condition and built to last.Also, it should not be expensive.How do you detect fake art? Some mediums that artists may work in to create their artwork include oil, acrylics, pastels, watercolors and mixed media (a combination of materials). Some collectors choose to focus on a specific subtopic or artist within their area of general interest: for example, 19th Century postage stamps,Rare Books,Manuscripts,African Art has always been a rather private affair....the domain of a tiny minority of passionate collectors and savvy dealers...These works are unsurpassed in rarity and uniqueness.
 
The art collector has to own the work, not just observe it. That way they can look at it over and again at their leisure because each canvas has a soul that can only be appreciated in person.I also like to touch the art.The brush stokes give me a sense of the emotional state of the artist.Heavy paint gives me a sense of intense and strong emotions while light brush strokes(mostly in watercolors) gives me a feeling of happy,light and carefree.
 
A completist, unlike a collector, gathers without meaning and indulge obsessions past any reasonable point. The tasks and trophies have meaning only in the completion of the task itself.It is about satisfying a deep desire to have the complete collection of a particular set of items.Money is of little concern to the completist and they will travel to the ends of the earth to find what they are looking for. ? It’s a harmless enough urge, maybe even a healthy one, until it becomes so intense that it comes at the expense of other experiences or people.....I have decided this is not for me...Isn’t it a little sad when the collection is complete and you discover there’s nothing left to find?

The active art collector Buys all the time, no matter where they are or what they are doing..They tend to go to  and own art museums and galleries and have traveled widely . Finding the best art means learning who the best most qualified dealers are, and understanding how to interact, communicate, and negotiate with them to Get pointers on art dealer etiquette, how to spot the best dealers, who to trust, and who to watch out for. They learn how to favorably position themselves in the art market  in order to get special considerations when fresh new art comes onto the market... They work hard at creating relationships and friendships with dealers,galleries.The active collector seems to be more concerned with  what the market will bear or what is popular at the moment....money is definitely a driving force behind each purchase...He views his purchases, in part, with a banker's eye: Each brings great pleasure, and each adds value. .Personally I have never bought a piece from a gallery...I do go to look sometimes..... 

Casual art collectors tend not to go looking for specific artwork and often find it while out looking for something completely different. Paintings and prints are sold in a variety of places from garage sales to malls to antique shops to auctions and street vendors.I fall into this category.Color catches my eye first, then shapes and form in art.. Art collecting is more of a favorite pastime for me and therefore no pressure.I can take my time and look..if I don't buy no big deal ....maybe I will the next time..it just depends on what mood I am in and if I find art that really moves me.The most important point to remember if you fall into this category of collector is to buy what appeals to you. 


Feel free to post your blog related comments here.Please no foul language,adult content,racist remarks....
A Penny for your Thoughts...... 

Feel free to post your blog related comments here.Please no foul language,adult content,racist remarks....
A Penny for your Thoughts...... 

0 Comments: